Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Rube Goldberg" Machines

I think it might be time to stop calling them Rube Goldberg machines.


The Honda Cog ad

I don't think that it is an accurate or fair to either side. The sides being Rube Goldberg and those who make these contraptions. When done well these contraptions are well , like the cog commercial, they are poetry in motion. Maybe the poetry of motion. At their worst even Rube goes "What?"



Rube Goldberg's illustrations are great whimsical illustrations that play with the imagination.

These machines really got their start with Peter Fischli and David Weiss with their short film Der Lauf der Dinge, The Way Things Go.
Here are two of my personal favorite, besides the Cog ad or The Way Things Go.






I'm not sure what we should be calling them but I do feel that there has to be a better way to describe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment